EUROPEAN SQUASH FEDERATION ~ BACKGROUND
ESF is the governing body for squash in Europe, and has 46 European nations in membership. ESF’s core business is overseeing the operation of 7 European Championships, plus a series of tournaments (Circuits) across 30 nations for juniors and masters (over 35s) players. It also provides development programmes for squash coaches and referees across Europe.
ESF is run primarily by expert volunteers, who are either elected to the Board or appointed by the Board. They are supported by 2 paid staff, the Operations Manager and the Finance Assistant, who, due to the coronavirus, currently work from home; future work arrangements may involve a ‘hybrid’ system of some office-based work as well as working from home. Applications from the whole of Europe are welcome (possible to work remotely)
The Operation Manager is responsible for planning and managing the delivery of ESF’s activities, primarily via liaison with ESF’s volunteer workforce (including the Board), representatives within Member Nation Federations across Europe, World Squash Federation, event hosts and ESF’s Finance Assistant. The Operation Manager is the line manager for the Finance Assistant.
HOURS OF WORK
An average of 30 hours/week, with core office hours to be agreed alongside discretion to manage your working hours flexibly, taking account of variations in workload including weekends to support the AGM and Board meetings. Besides bank holidays you will have 25 holidays. You will not be paid for overtime.
Salary range for 30 hours per week is approx. £30,000 or € 34.500 depending on experience.
- Support ESF technical delegates (TD) in the management of ESF Championships, including ensuring effective handling of championship tenders/bids, inspection visits/reports and board recommendations/decisions.
- Prepare and publish documentation for Championships, including setting up events on tournament software
- Ensure entries are processed effectively, and follow up any anomalies with Member Nations or ESF TDs. Ensure all post-event actions are completed
- Manage the Championship calendar (3 years’ ahead), follow-up tenders from potential hosts in conjunction with Chair/Director of Championships and relevant TDs. Advise on Championship regulations and host requirements when needed.
- Junior and Masters’ Events
- Oversee the effective management of the Junior and Masters’ Circuit calendars in conjunction with the relevant Board member and his/her Junior and Masters committees. Prepare and publish host invitations and ensure all hosts comply with requirements and that invoices are issued and paid.
- Manage the Junior rankings system and support the Masters’ committee in maintaining Masters’ rankings. Ensure rankings are updated on the web-site. Provide support and advice where appropriate.
- Coaching Programme
- Provide support to the Coaching Committee and Tutors as required, including checking all courses and new registered coaches are updated on the web-site.
- Ensure invoices are issued and paid, and certificates issued.
- Board Meetings & Annual General Meeting
- Prepare agendas and documentation for board meetings, including minutes and actions
- Prepare all pre-AGM notifications and documents, including agenda, annual report, annual accounts, etc (annually).
- Draft the ESF annual report and the annual report for WSF AGM (annually)
- Liaise with the AGM host to ensure all arrangements for the AGM are in place (annually)
- Manage minutes and actions from the AGM and elections, including the necessary liaison with Companies House.
- Audit check final tournament invoicing (7 championships)
- Audit check sales and purchase ledger (3x Bank Rec) (monthly)
- Monitor monthly accounts, expenditure and budget management (monthly)
- Prepare the following year’s budget with Treasurer (annually)
- Process Board and volunteer expenses with associated receipts in a timely manner. Make payments into necessary accounts and update internal documents.
- Information Technology (IT)
- Request and distribute software licences to hosts for Junior, Master and Championships events
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge and highlighting training opportunities
- Ensure the web-site is updated, and make recommendations for improvements to the web-site and the interface with tournament software
- Handle enquiries, issues from Member Nations, and general day-to-day liaison with ESF colleagues, World Squash Federation, Member Nations, etc
- Maintain record of annual leave for staff and keep the President and the Board advised of leave and cover arrangements.
- Provide ESF Board support and liaise with relevant Board Member to deal with/respond to member issues and complaints.
- Prepare letters, presentations, reports and communication as required.
- To operate and maintain an effective system for filing of all electronic documents ensuring that all legal data record requirements are maintained.
- To manage the input of information stored and published to ensure that it is accurate and complies with any legal or data protection policies.
- Other duties
- Line-manage the Finance Assistant, including regular 1-1 meetings and annual review.
- Agree and manage holiday/bank holiday entitlement to ensure office cover.
- Update Championship regulations as required
- Ensure balls, medals, plaques, ESF flags, tin stickers etc are ordered and sent to hosts in advance of even
- University or college level
- Proven, highly effective organisational and planning skills, including attention to detail
- Solid financial knowledge
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft 365, Microsoft Office and included products
- Familiar with SharePoint Designer, 3rd Party Software Tools, Tournament Soft products
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills, including the ability to communicate clearly to audiences where English is not their first language
- Ability to write and speak good English and to present information effectively to varied audiences
- Ability to work independently and flexibly when required
- Ability to use your own initiative to solve problems, and appreciate when to seek advice
- An appreciation of working within a mainly volunteer-led organisation and functioning in a small team may be helpful
- Ability to work to tight deadlines when required
- An understanding and affinity of sport (and squash)
Interested candidates should send their CV and covering letter by July 31, 2021 to: Hugo Hannes, President European Squash Federation.